⇓⇓⇓ Please support with your signature ⇓⇓⇓
⇑⇑⇑ Please support with your signature ⇑⇑⇑
English translation of the Urgent Action
28. April 2023, Mexico-City
Urgent Action No. 06
- 6 people arbitrarily detained, Mixe peasants who were protesting against the construction of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec railroad.
- Units of the National Guard, Marine Corps and state police violently evicted the civilian and peaceful camp that remained for 60 days.
On April 28, 2023, at 10:38 a.m Military units of the National Guard (GN), Corps of the Secretariat of the Marine (SEMAR) and state police of Oaxaca violently evicted the „Tierra y Libertad“ Camp, a camp of Mixe peasants affected by the works of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec railroad, taking six people whose names are Maria Magdalena Martinez Isabel, Esperanza Martinez Isabel, Elizabeth Martinez Isabel, Eliodoro Martinez Isabel, Fernando Hernández Gomez and Adela Severo Teodoro, the latter was beaten. At the time of issuing this Urgent Action, it is not known where they were transferred to or the conditions in which they are being held.
Prior to this eviction, the Union of Indigenous Communities of the Northern Zone of the Isthmus (UCIZONI) denounced various acts of threats, intimidation and aggression perpetrated by elements of the GN, SEMAR and Oaxaca state police against those exercising their right to protest, the defense of land and territory from the „Tierra y Libertad“ Camp in the community of Mogoñe Viejo, municipality of San Juan Guichicovi, Oaxaca.
The „Tierra y Libertad“ Camp was set up in exercise of the right to protest to denounce the imposition of infrastructure projects, such as the construction of the Inter-Oceanic Corridor train tracks, which affect the land and territory of the native Mixe peoples of this region in Oaxaca. During the violent eviction, the material goods of the Camp were destroyed and the belongings, such as cell phones, of the people who were documenting were stolen.
Yesterday, April 27, 2023, members of the Caravana El Sur Resiste held a meeting at the Camp that was evicted today by military and police forces. In solidarity, the Caravana demonstrated on the Transistmica highway, at the height of Oteapan, Veracruz, to denounce the acts of repression.
For the above, we urgently demand from the Federal Government and the State of Oaxaca:
- Immediate and unconditional freedom for Maria Magdalena Martinez Isabel, Esperanza Martinez Isabel, Elizabeth Martinez Isabel, Eliodoro Martinez Isabel, Fernando Hernández Gomez and Adela Severo Teodoro.
- Medical attention to Adela Severo Teodoro, who was beaten during the eviction, and corresponding clarification of responsibilities have to be granted.
- The return of the stolen goods, especially cell phones.
- Respect to the demands of the Mogoñe Viejo community, which has maintained the blockade for more than a month.
- An end to all acts of harassment and threats against the people who form part of the Tierra y Libertad de Mogoñe Camp, old municipality of San Juan Guichicovi, Oaxaca.
- Guarantees of security for the members of the Caravan El Sur Resiste as it passes through the southeastern Mexican states.
Send your appeals to:
Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
Constitutional President of Mexico.
Adán Augusto López Hernández.
Secretary of the Interior of Mexico.
Alejandro Encinas Rodríguez,
Undersecretary of Human Rights, Population and Migration.
Salomón Jara Cruz
Governor of Oaxaca
José de Jesús Romero López
Secretary General of the government of State of Oaxaca.
Jose Bernardo Rodriguez Alamilla
Attorney General of State of Oaxaca
Elizabeth Lara Rodriguez.
Ombudsperson for Human Rights of Oaxaca